Sunday, April 4, 2010

My book recommendations for the Spring.


I love to read but I can't predict the flow of my reading. Sometimes I can read several books in one weekend and then I'll go a month and only read the back of my cereal box. I have no idea what causes this and can't predict when it will happen.

Which is why I'm on the public library's most wanted list. I can never get a book back on time. I finally realized it was cheaper for me to buy from Barnes and Noble or my neighborhood book store and then sell, give or donate it after I finish. I do keep some..mainly autographed copies of books.

Ok..so this month I have devoured books..(maybe it might be the hammock I have on the porch now) I read The Help (enjoyed it..local author), Dead Travel Fast (a quick read) and Saving CeeCee Honeycutt - a very good book..some tragic moments but it has the feel of the YaYa Sisterhood in that the interaction between the women was healing. I loved it and immediately imagined it made into a movie.

Another great book was The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. A YaYa recommended it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. A mystery with an 11 year old sleuth as the heroine. Very cool.

Oh, and I read The Secret Life CeeCee Wilkes (two CeeCees). I liked it as well..but it was not a feel good book.

One last book which I have not read is Where Mercy is Shown, Mercy is Given by Dog the Bounty Hunter. Now, I have watched the show a few times but have not since his scandal. But he came to my hometown at the bequest of the best little bookstore in the world. Foxtale Books and 1000 people showed up for his autograph. He was very late..showed up in a bus with his face all over it and then instead of sitting for the signing..he came out and signed everyone's book..no pictures please. Anyway, he smelled like alcohol and looks like he's been rode hard but he did sign a 1000 books. Beth is smaller than she looks on t.v. and was very nice. So all in all it was not a bad night...

So those are my books I've read...I'm starting on the Reliable Wife...and it seems dark..

Oh..and those ladies with Dog are the owners of the Foxtale Books..if you are ever in Woodstock, GA..you must visit their store.

3 comments:

IslandPearl said...

I'm not sure I'd want my picture taken with him...he's pretty scary looking!

Thanks for the book reviews...I'm trying to avoid the darker ones.

A hammock...sounds comfy!

Unknown said...

Pearl...do you twitter? I found the author of Saving CeeCee Honeycutt and she and have exchanged tweets...they are looking into making the book into a movie!

And I'm now following some of my other authors...makes me feel connected.

jojo cucina cucina said...

Yay, a new blog post!

I'm going to look for your book at Barnes and Noble. I used to be the public library whore back in my 20's when i was more poor and i hated having to worry about due dates because i would check out the maximum number of books allowed but not get to them all.

Everyone i know LOVES The Help. I picked up The Reliable Wife more than twice now and keep putting it back down. Please let me know if you end up reading it and liking it?

what is it with the CeeCee names?